Wednesday 9 March 2011

Post Crit

I asked the question of whether people thought there was any need to change the flyers for Soundwave and if there was room for improvement. The answers I got back were that I should take my own look on it and completely redesign it. I took this as a valid point but after some thought I found that I was fairly fond of the existing visual identity that is Soundwave. Although there were problems I felt could be addressed with the previous programme designs I felt that I needed to change something and maybe Soundwave wasn't the best thing to re-design or design for. As I was fairly happy with the look of the stuff just a few things I would change, thus not giving me a lot of room to be creative, so I wanted to put it to one side. 
Then I came up with the idea of extending a previous brief (Here)
The premise being that I take this new club night, Decoy, of which I have designed a logo for and some form of visual identity, and create a body of work for a proposed weekend festival. 
Mixing this with the earlier brief, having the festival in Croatia, taking some of the problems I saw with the Soundwave brief forward into this one. 


So, the original brief...


The Brief
Design and produce a festival programme along with the appropriate assets for Soundwave Croatia 2011.

Concept/Proposition
Soundwave has all the quirks of a Bestival but in a far more beautiful, and sunny, setting (sorry Bestival). - The Guardian

Considerations
Soundwave already has a strong visual identity, adhere to this but can it be altered for the better in any way. Think of cost, being a small festival the budget wont be huge. This is essentially information delivery, don’t forget this.

Target Audience
21-30 males and females, interest in alternative, hip-hop, soul, funk, dance music / based in Manchester, Leeds & London. Outgoing, lively party-goers.

Background
Soundwave Croatia is the newest festival set to take the long lost festival paradise of the Pijina Peninsular by storm.
The site in Petrcane, Croatia will provide a truly intimate surrounding to bath in the sun, bask in the shade and witness some high calibre live acts, DJs and experience a rare mix of parties and the odd bit of relaxation.

Mandatory Requirements
Festival programme along with appropriate assets.




And the re-written brief...




The Brief
Design and produce a festival programme for the new Decoy Weekender.

Concept/Proposition
A Brand new, low-budget summer festival. 
Considerations
Although the brief is to produce the programme there is the chance to broaden this design out to the promotion of the festival, tickets, wristbands, merchandise, stage sets, banners, flags etc. 

What is a programme? What is it for and what formats can it take? What are the problems that need to be solved?
Target Audience
21-30 males and females, interest in alternative, hip-hop, Dub, Drum'n'Bass, Electro dance music / based in the Midlands, Liverpool, Leeds & London. Outgoing, lively party-goers.

Background
Decoy is a new club night, pushing forward in drum'n'bass and dubstep whilst staying true to the roots of Dub, dancehall and reggae. Passionate and excited Decoy searches and backs the best new talent out there. Go big or go home. 
Mandatory Requirements
Festival programme along with proposed appropriate assets.

No comments:

Post a Comment