Thursday 24 February 2011

Epithiny

Wanted to get this done in an hour or so, and after losing a lot of designs due to my waterlogged laptop, time is seriously an issue at the moment.
Starting off with typeface choice...


I wanted a sans seriff, modern simple typeface, nothing to round or wide, but at the same time I didn't want anything too condensed nor bold. From earlier research I thought having a style like that of the latter typeface would suit the genre of dance music the DJ plays. However saying that the letters within Epithiny don't appeal themselves to this kind of style, (Note the diagonal 'A').
Out of the above, decided to take this typeface forward, Avant Garde Demi...

Experimented with involving the eye design, the letter P being the only one really lending itself to be messed around with...


Nothing really shone out to me, didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the type, out of place and well didn't look a whole lot like an eye either...

Played around parts of the type, expanding and then playing with the shape of certain letters, extending some parts and getting rid of others. I took a few minutes to analyse it and when I showed some people around the studio one comment was that it looked like a logo for a metal band, this opened my eyes a bit. I started noticing the cross imagery and with the boldness of it it did look like something for a gothic style band, not the right identity I'm going for. saying that however I thought there was potential with it.
With that in mind I tried making it less bold, changing from Avant Garde Demi to Avant Garde EF. Taking the same design and applying it to the new type...


As well as making it less bold, I simplified the design slightly, creating more white space throughout the design. Felt this took away some of the gothic connotations as did some of the other guys in the studio. But what about the eye?
Rubbish! The design on the right i felt had something, but looked like some form of medicine, Something like Nuerofen. This is where I looked at the different styles of eyes, icons / pictograms and the manga designs came into play.
Coming out with this as a final design...



Breaking it down into the main logo and if wanted just the eye design. Next step, contextualisation of the logo. What can it be put on?

Business cards
Website - Soundcloud.com firstly, this being the online presence of the DJ
General stationary
promo for any up and coming events
Stickers

Maybe something to extend the project into something more significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment