Wednesday 19 January 2011

Statement of Intent

This is my first draft of the SOI, I still need to spend some time on the latter sections of it, but this is what I have in preparation for the group sessions tomorrow.

Rationale / Position Statement

Appropriate branding & promotion for the media industry with a focus on type.

Type based branding & promotion offering appropriate solutions for the media industry, focussing on music, boarding culture & sporting brands.

Producing type based design which fits into the categories of branding, visual identity and promotion. Doing so, for subjects within stylistic cultures & the media industry. Focussing on things that I hold a strong interest in, music, boarding culture & sporting brands.

Subjects / Themes

I intend to create work for subjects that I hold an interest in…

Music Industry.

Within this having a focus on alternative, dance, electro, hip-hop genre’s. The subjects within these areas being,

. Record labels

. Artists / DJ’s / Bands

. Festivals

. Clubs

. Magazines & publications

Boarding Culture.

My main interest lies within snowboarding but I intend to Consider it as a whole, looking at Surf, Skate, Wake, Snow & Ski. The subjects within these areas being,

. Global & national brands

. Clothing

. Hardware

. Resorts / facilities (Holiday destinations / indoor & outdoor parks etc.)

. Pro riders & Teams

. Magazines & Publications

Sporting Brands.

This relates somewhat to the boarding culture as they are all sports, but I intend to create work for the more mainstream and mass – appeal brands such as Nike, Adidas and also looking to build on brands such as Kappa and Fila. The subjects within these areas being,

. Clothing

. T-Shirts

. Product / Merch

A theme that I intend to work on is intrinsic value and the connotation of a brand, this specifically relating to the sporting brands I mentioned earlier, Kappa & Fila.

Design Disciplines / Creative Development

The design Disciplines I intend to work across are,

. Branding

This being an area of design that I intend to focus a lot on. Developing my skills within logo design, specifically type / hand-drawn type & type as image. These being areas I want to really hone in on. With this focus on branding I will also be developing my abilities in effectively and appropriately portraying the subject matter.

. Visual Identity

This going hand in hand with the branding side of things. My intentions being to really push the idea of range. Seeing how far a stationary set can go and again producing effective and appropriate products to create a strong thorough body of work.

. Editorial

Coming off the back of some successful designs last module this is an area of design I intend to touch on through one or more of my briefs. Thus developing my skills in layout, type and use of image further.

. Info-Graphics

This being an area that I deem versatile, in terms of work, most things I will be designing will portray or give some form of information and in that sense, delivering information. This is an area I hold an interest in and intend to develop my skills in further, these skills again being layout & type.

. Promotion

This being a discipline that goes hand in hand with branding & visual identity, once the designs are in place anything more can be deemed as promotion. Thus this will be a discipline I often work in, developing my skills as a designer & a creative.

. Print & Digital

I don’t consider myself a designer for print or designer for web but whatever appropriate for the problem at hand. Therefore I shall be developing skills in both fields of design.

Practical Skills / Workshops

. Type

. Hand-drawn type

. Type as image

. Photoshop

. Illustrator

. InDesign

. Digital illustration / Tablet

. Digital print

. Any More?

I see myself as a heavily type led designer and therefore will mostly be working with and for type. With a strong focus on Hand-drawn type & type as image as my design practice. As well as using my general skills of typography, in terms of layout and when producing editorial or publications.

I will also be using Adobe software programs, Illustrator, Photoshop & InDesign. Illustrator will be my main means of designing other than drawing / handcrafted type. Using the software to digitalise drawings, vectorize, create and experiment with type as well as colour. Photoshop will be my source for mocking my designs onto products and altering any photographs. InDesign shall be used for any publication or editorial as well as creating documents such as my print & digital portfolio. Touching again on the subject of digitalising any drawings or designs I shall also use the tablet for drawing, creating and adding to my designs.

Time Management?

Project Journal?

Brief 1: Nike 6.0

Rationale: Design board artwork for the new Nike 6.0 Pro Team, Snow / Ski / Surf / Wake.

Brief 2: Soundwave

Rationale: Design & produce the programme and relevant assets for the 2011 festival.

Brief 3: Botz Brigade

Rationale: Branding and visual identity for a clothing / record label

Brief 4: Epithiny

Rationale: Branding and visual identity for a DJ

Brief 5: Diesel, D&AD

Rationale: Illustrate two songs of your choice


Contextual References / Designers / studios / Companies

Designers

Alba Durana

Wesley Eggebrecht

Roel Van Eekelen

Russell Flanders

Silo

Joshua M. Smith

Alex Trochut

Studios

http://www.jdk.com/live/home.html

http://www.draplin.com/

http://www.ilovedust.com/

http://jthreeconcepts.com/brb/

http://palehorsedesign.com/

http://www.officialclassic.com/

http://www.effektivedesign.co.uk/

http://www.designbyface.com/#/

http://www.thinksimpleactsimple.com/

Companies

Nike, Adidas, Kappa, burton, Ride, K2, Yes, Mad Decent, Hospitality.

Research Activity:

?

Bibliography:

?

No comments:

Post a Comment