Sunday 3 April 2011

Matthew The Horse

Went to the presentation from the man then had a cheeky discussion with him afterwards.
I briefly showed him the portfolio I've been taking to all of these sessions. He seemed to like it, he didn't really say anything negative nor positive.
Instead we had a really good discussion on my plans after uni and what I'm really interested in, snowboarding.
From it I noted down the following pieces of advice,

. Produce work that I think the desired companies would use, not stuff that they've already used.
So to reiterate what I've been trying to do from the previous module and design new and more innovative stuff.

. Design work for companies within boarding that look shit. Find the ugly board companies and make them look shit hot. Not designing good stuff for companies that already have it.
Going further with this and finding the smaller companies or rather the 'accessories' of snowboarding. So brands of helmets, gloves, protective gear, clothing lines, beanies, goggles etc! Broader scope.

. Make a list of things i shouldn't do, dripping paint - general shit clichés.

. Make everything I design for snowboarding, much more personal of my own experiences of snowboarding, this will make it much more relatable and therefore liked.
Ask the question, what is boarding to me?

He also gave me some interesting points of context to look into, stuff that relates to good examples of branding. Idea of designing for things relatable to core subject.

Howies
Chocolate - Skateboarding brand
Parra - Illustrator
Charge - Bike brand
Nemesis - Bike brand
Geoff McFetridge - King illustrator, apparently. Done work for snowboards and all that jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment