Sunday 3 April 2011

Evaluation

Upon being advised to write up an evaluation I have come to see this as an opportunity to clarify everything within my briefs and solve some issues that came from the recent crit session. 


At this point my statement of intent is still highly relevant and up to date with what I am producing. Only making a slight change to my rationale, 


from, 
Type based branding & promotion offering appropriate solutions for sub-cultures, focussing on identity within music, sporting brands & boarding culture.


To, 
Type based branding & promotion for sub-cultures, focussing on identity within music, boarding culture and fashion & sport brands. 


What has changed drastically is the number and subject of briefs I am working on. 
From an earlier one on one session I concluded that I was working on too many subjects, having 8 briefs up and running and another 2 in mind to start. 
This was then split into two parts, having live, more professional / standard industry work briefs  and more personal, thought up briefs tackling direct subjects of interest to me.
Using a system of what was of more priority I came to the conclusion to devote myself to 5 briefs. 


The briefs I chose to drop or rather put on temporary hiatus were,
Brief Four: Music Branding and Identity 
Brief Five: Chart Illustrations
Raw Type Competition Brief 
Boot Inn Summer Menu 


Thus leaving me with the following briefs to work on, 
Brief One: Nike IDB
Brief Two: Soundwave
Brief Three: Snowboard Labels
BAGD YearBook 
End of Year Show Competition
Brief Six: Decoy (finished)


This does not mean I will only hand in these 5 briefs, but the ones i dropped are ones I can finish if I have enough time nearer the hand in. My point of focus will be on the above briefs, and these will all be definitely completed by the hand in date. So essentially I am assured a minimum of 5 briefs. There will no doubt be more. 


However as I continued working with the new focus on specific briefs, I have changed more about them.
Firstly, coming to the decision of changing Brief Two: Soundwave to become an extension of Brief Six: Decoy. Keeping the same deliverables within brief two but only for the club-night, Decoy, of which I did promotional work for in Brief Six. 


This was the right decision as it gives a lot more freedom in terms of designing it, and its an extension on my own work. This getting rid of any time wasting re-branding the existing Soundwave festival. 
So Brief Six has gone and become part of Brief Two. 


Shortly on from this I decided to do the same kind of thing and make Brief Three a part of the deliverables for Brief One. 
So, Brief Three: Snowboard Labels, will continue to exist as it's own brief, as it is solving it's own problem and there has been an extensive line of research within it. But it is using designs and concepts made within Brief One: Nike IDB. 
The product of Brief Three is a deliverable in it's own brief but also apart of Brief One, as it is using the same content.   
I don't see this as a negative thing or something that will hinder my final major project as it still leaves me with 5 briefs, what it does do is leave me with a large body of work that is linked and joined yet different enough considering the split between formal and more personal led briefs. 
What I am aiming to do is fulfil my statement of intent, yet keeping a realistic view on the wider image, leaving uni and getting a job. So I am producing personal work for subjects that I enjoy and for clients I want to one day work for, this being a very niche, specific market. So along with this I have my live, more real world, client based projects to contextualise myself as a graphic designer in general. 
Just because I want to work for a specific market and specific clients which has a very pinned down audience doesn't mean I can't cater for the general public, and this is something that I want to be able to show at the end of this course. 
I believe with what I am doing at the moment it shows I have an understanding of what works within my desired areas of interest but also an understanding of general graphic design. 


To conclude,


The labelling on my blog will all change as my briefs have been altered to make everything as clear as possible...




Briefs I am Working on: 


Brief One: Nike IDB
- Concept driven, digital based project. Deliverables ranging from Web interface design, product promotion & Labelling.


Brief Two: Decoy Festival
- Problem solving, Print based Project. Deliverables ranging from festival programme, promotional campaign, merchandise, Client led club-night promotion range, real world printing. 


Brief Three: Snowboard Labels 
- Concept driven, print based project. Deliverables being a range of labels for Nike IDB Brief snowboards. 


Brief Four: BAGD Yearbook 
- Live, client led brief. Budgeted, group project. 


Brief Five: End of Year Show
- Live competition brief. Branding and promotion. 


Brief Six: Swatch TTR
- Live snowboard related Competition Brief. Product / Artwork design. 






Briefs that I will try and finish once the above are completed:


Music Branding and Identity:
- Branding and identity for a dj and a record / clothing label. 


Chart Illustrations: 
- Drawing and typography brief. Illustrations for a selection of recent chart No.1 singles. 


Raw Type:
- Competition brief. Create a typeface under the theme of time. 


Boot Summer Menu:
- Live, client led brief. Design new cocktail summer drinks menu. 




Updated Statement of Intent to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment